Thursday 22 November 2012

Chapter 7: Books, Books, Books!


I wait with anticipation:  my breath abates, my heart races, my fingers twitch, my muscles tense and relax and prepare themselves to hold books upon books upon books.  I’m ready, ready for the annual Symphony Association Book Fair!!!

Every year, the local Symphony Association hosts a book fair as a fundraising event.  Normally, you and me might think, “No thanks, I’ll pass this one by.  Who needs old books with ripped pages and food stains?”  Well, friends, you’re in for a treat.  As you walk in, your head swivels from side to side as your eyes locate the “Trade Paperback” section.  Your legs carry you to the shelves that house rows and rows of practically brand new, current titles.  I really don’t know how they do it!  But they do, and it’s AMAZING! 

This year, I saw my future self.  She came with her husband and he was pulling books he knew she would like (ahh, so sweet, yes?).  Then she checked The List, a multi-sheet catalog of every book they owned.  If The List lacked the title in question, the book dropped into the large bag hung from her shoulder, to be added to The List for next year’s excursion, I presume.  I agree, it’s a bit on the dorky side, but you have to admit, it’s also highly effective.   

I use this opportunity to grow my library, the to-be-built-by-my-learning-to-be-handy-husband kind of library complete with built-in-bookshelves, a glowing fireplace warming my precious kitty, and a worn-leather armchair covered in my favourite wool blanket which sits beside the table holding my peppermint-infused coffee.  Yes, I like to dream. 

Here’s a glimpse at this year’s collection: 


Aren’t they great?! 
As always, I often go back to my stack of books and flip through the pages, smell them, stare at them. . . .Over and over again.  It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment